Shortly after beginning the task of converting the old church into a Confederate Memorial the Ladies Memorial Society commissioned New York artist Louis Comfort Tiffany to fabricate windows for the church.
Each Confederate state was offered the privilege of putting in it's own window, and each state, except Kentucky, accepted the offer. She was doing local memorial work and felt unable to do both at the same time. Tiffany took advantage of having this extra window to make a beautiful gift in the form of an exquisite cross of jewels, which is over the west door. It bears the inscription: "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth, peace, good will to men." This gem, which is the admiration of all who view it, is known as the Tiffany "Cross of Jewels." As the sun sinks behind these sparkling jewels, their colors change with the glowing sun, and it is truly a thing of beauty.
Mr. Tiffany planned to have in the top of the window the State seal, in it's body the figure of one of the Lord's desciples, and at the bottom the state was to prepare its own inscription.
The third window on the south wall is the only one not having a state seal. Instead of having the seal it has the insignia of the Washington Artillery of New Orleans, Louisiana. These brave men did much of their fighting on the soil of Virginia, where many shed their life blood. A tall granite marker, near the church, bears the names of dozens of the members of the Washington Artillery who lost their lives in the defense of Petersburg in 1864 and 1865.
Washington Artillery Marker
(click on photo to enlarge)
When Louisiana was offered the privilege of putting in a window, the Washington Artillery asked to be allowed put it in, and received that privilege.
The fifteenth window was placed in the transome over the main entrance in the west and is a memorial to the organization which developed this shrine. It contains the name of the Ladies Memorial Association and date of the War, 1861-1865, a Confederate flag, the year the Association was formed, 1866, to the year the window was installed, 1909.
It is of interest to note that General Lee manifested his approval of this work being done in Petersburg by sending a check "to aid in their pious work for the preservation and protection of the graves of the Confederate dead."